Minutes of November meeting

These are the unapproved minutes of the November meeting.

 Yarmouth Art Society Meeting Minutes , November 24th 2018

                            

Meeting called to order at 2 p.m.

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth .

Minutes of October 30 th 2018 Meeting approved as read.

Treasurers Report:

For the period October 30th 2018 to November 24th 2018 the opening balance forward is $2077.08. After income and expenses total balance forward is $3997.08.This balance includes Garson Grant of $474.58 and Print Making Workshop Grant of $1980.00 Actual YAS balance is $1542.50.

Old Business:

-A  note was read from Judy Ferron thanking YAS for the donation of the Ron Lynch Watercolour Course Book to the Yarmouth Library in memory of Pierre Ferron and his contribution to the art world. Judy wished the members of YAS good luck in all their creative endeavours.

New Business:

-YAS activities in the spring, Margriet Knubben shared that now Dave Gorman is home a small group of members will be pulled together to bring ideas forward for input and approval at future YAS Meeting.

-Artwork in Hospitals ; Margriet Knubben contacted Yarmouth hospital Site Manager Paggy Green who thought it was a wonderful idea. She will discuss with her colleagues and get back to Margriet.

Other

-Art Show at the Museum ; Virginia Stoddard reported this is still a possibilty for the Yarmouth Art Society, Nadine is looking at possible openings and will let us know.

-Art Classes for Children: Virginia Stoddard reported that we have a tentative business plan  :

A 10 week series, age 12yrs and up  to  minimum no. of  10 registrant @$5.00 a week – $1500.  Instructor @ $100.00 per week- $1000                                   Kellianne Land is available to Instruct.    Room lower level Museum -$300  Supplies -? $200 .  The budget could balance with the Garson Grant money being held in reserve for possibility of shortfall of money or registrants needing financial help.                                                                                                       

A more complete proposal will be brought forward to next YAS meeting including a supply list from Kellianne, an assessment of  need for volunteers to help  and a to do list .    All members present approved ; there is a need for Art Classes for children and this also increases the Yarmouth Art Society’s profile. 

Ivan Blades suggested that we have a night of networking to increase the profile of YAS ;this night would be for the general public but with an emphasis on youth as we need the youth to sustain the future of YAS. A lively discussion followed,some suggestions were: 

–The night could be structured on certain dates with different themes e.g. watercolour, printmaking .    Unstructured format may be better; inviting artists to share what they are doing,( Amber d’Entremont has done work in that area and she may come to our next meeting.)   Could this night be at the AGNS on a Thursday when it  is open to the public sponsored by Bank of Montreal.                                     

Key people could be identified to invite to ensure the success of the first night.  Need to excite the youth , ask them to dream.   Need to connect different art forms.    Artists could be asked to share their portfolios.  It could be a Art Slam; open microphone,art,poetry,music etc..     Supporting a venture like this goes with our mandate.            Further discussion will be held  at January 2019 meeting, all input welcome.

-Kellianne Land brought up the obvious rift in the Arts community in this area. Forgetting the different physical structures proposed could we look at improving relationships among people in the arts in our area who surely share commonalities and vision. Kellianne presented information about EmcArts whose programs help individuals,organizations and communities take on their most complex challenges through the Arts. Learn about their approach,work and programs at www.emcart.org/approach.     Also you can download a GIA Reader article on that site :                            “Introducing Community Innovation Labs  A New Approach for Harvesting the Power of the Arts to          Unlock Complex Problems in Local Systems” by their President Richard Evans and  Director of Strategic Initiatives Karina Mangu-Ward. Light refreshments were enjoyed as discussion continued.

Roundtable was held with members sharing thoughts, projects etc. with each other.

Next meeting at 1pm January 26th 2019 at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Community Room. 

Respectfully submitted

Paulette Babin

Elizabeth Manuge in our thoughts

A note to all about our very spirited Elizabeth Manuge from Marianne
 
Thank you for your email to Mom and for safekeeping her artwork. Mom’s had a pretty protracted bout in hospital, first in Yarmouth, then in the QEll. She finally had the long-awaited aortic valve implant by catheter (TAVI) on Tuesday and is dealing with some post-op issues now. She’s in ICU and making a gradual recovery. Please let fellow YAS members and friends know that she was sketching away in hospital and I know she hopes to be back to see everyone again soon.

Minutes of October meeting

These are the unapproved minutes of the October meeting.

Yarmouth Art Society

Minutes of October 27, 2018 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at approximately 2:00 pm, after a presentation by Natalie Smith about the progress of the  plans for the new arts and cultural centre.

Minutes of the September 29, 2018 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s report: For the period from September 30 to October 30, 2018 opening balance of $2365.38 and total balance forward of $2077.08. This balance includes $474.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project, so the actual YAS balance is $1602.50

Old Business:

Show with Write Away Group: October 31 will be  the end of another successful show with the Write Away Group and YAS members. Art work should be picked up at the museum on October 31 or November 1.

Book in Memory of Pierre Ferron: Dan has obtained the book by Tom Lynch, 100 Watercolor Workshop Lesson Charts. Dan decided on this book after speaking with Mrs Ferron who thought a book on instructional watercolor techniques would be appropriate.

Lucky Choice: The Lucky Choice event has been cancelled for this year. The next YAS event will be in the Spring.

New Business:

YAS activities in Spring: We had a discussion about possibly having art lessons for children; workshops for adults; an auction with half the proceeds going to the artist and half to the Yarmouth art Society as a fundraiser. We also talked about possibly having an exhibit somewhere other than our usual venues. Margriet will contact Peggy Greene about having an exhibit in a room at the hospital.

Round Table: Each person at the meeting talked about the current art related projects that they are working on.

Next meeting will be a social activity on November 24 at 1:00 pm at the AGNS and will be the last meeting before the new year. You may bring sweets or finger foods if you wish.

Respectfully submitted,

Noella DeMille

Watercolour classes with Lio Lo

Introduction to Watercolour,  6 weeks  with Lio Lo cspwc
Oct 11th to Nov 15st, Every Thursday 10am-12:30pm Wesly United Church Hall,
2280 Highway 103, Barrington Head,
fee $100, 8 participants only    Phone: (902) 874-2312   Email: [email protected]
Intermediate level of Sea/Landscape in Watercolour,  6 weeks  with Lio Lo cspwc
Oct 17th to Nov 21st, Every Wednsday 10am-12:30pm Wesly United Church Hall,
2280 Highway 103, Barrington Head,
fee $100, 8 participants only    Phone: (902) 874-2312   Email: [email protected]

 

 

Minutes of 9/29 Meeting

These are the subscribed, unapproved, minutes of the meeting held at AGNS on September 29th.

OF NOTE: If you are receiving this as an e-mail you are SUBSCRIBED to the YAS website and get notice of all new posts. We want to see how many people we are reaching. If you are reading this because of e-mail notice please sent a GOT IT message to <[email protected]> Use that also if you want to unsubscribe.

We also have a FaceBook page under Yarmouth Art Society. You may want to do some “likes” to get in that stream of information.

Yarmouth Art Society

Minutes of September 29, 2018 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of June 30, 2018 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from August 31 to September 30, 2018 opening balance of $2325.38 and total balance forward of $2365.38. This balance includes $474.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project, so the actual YAS balance is $1890.80.

Old Business:

Show Garson Sisters: Paulette reported that the following events have taken place since our June meeting: Beth Sweeney (former student) gave a talk on Arts & Disabilities Wednesday, July 18 and gave a Canada Council grant writing workshop on Thursday July 19. Kellianne Land and Jay LeBlanc involved children in a Puppet Theatre making puppets and putting on a show “Kid Jo and the Whale” Wednesday, July 25. David Gorman gave a workshop on the Scratch Art method Thursday, July 26, very well attended. Laura Hatfield facilitated a workshop with Whose Museum, on Friday, July 27. It was a still life drawing session where participants bring the objects and build the installation. This was the closing event. 

Show with Write Away Group: Wednesday, September 26 was the opening reception, which was very well attended. Dan said it was suggested that next time perhaps images could be shown using a projector while the poems/short stories are being read. This show runs till the end of October.

Holy Trinity Arts Activities: There is currently an art exhibit going on at Holy Trinity Church hall.

Plein Air Festival: A small number of artists participated this year. Dates will be set again next year for more sessions.

Hospital Hullabaloo: We did well at the Hullabaloo this year, with a total of $682.65 presented to the Hullabaloo committee. 

Artists at the Farmers’ Market annex: This was a summer activity YAS did in partnership with the Craft Guild.  Ivan reported that he thought it was a good opportunity for artists to show their work.

New business:

Arts Magazines Elizabeth Manuge: Several magazines were sold at the Hullabaloo but we still have some left if anyone wishes to take some for a small donation. We had a discussion about the art work remaining after the Hullabaloo. It was suggested some might sell if it was framed, perhaps we could combine some in groups to sell, also some could be used in Lucky Choice event.

Book in memory of Pierre Ferron: Margriet suggested we purchase a book for the library, in memory of Pierre Ferron. Dan said he would look for a suitable book.

Lucky Choice: Kellianne will check wirh Holy Trinity Church Council about possibly having Lucky Choice in their hall and Margriet will check with the YARC to see if it’s available. We are thinking of hanging art work on November 1 with an opening reception and sale of tickets on November 2 and the actual Lucky Choice event on November 17. Betty mentioned that perhaps our activities at the YARC could be mentioned on CJLS when the other YARC activities are announced. 

Plan new Arts and Cultural Centre: Natalie Smith has been invited to our October meeting. This will give us an opportunity to discuss plans for the print shop, comparing what we have in mind with what the architects are planning.

Other: Some members have been missing notices about up-coming activities that are posted on the website. Dan used to send out an e-mail when a new posting appeared on the website, but he explained that it’s difficult to keep an up-to-date e-mail address list of members. He suggested we go to the website, subscribe and provide an e-mail address, so that we can be automatically notified of a new posting. David Mahoney suggested that we should have a round table discussion at our monthly meetings to give an opportunity for us to talk about our recent art related activities. David started by saying he now has a video on you-tube which took him two years to accomplish. Each member around the table proceeded to talk about their art work. It was very interesting.

Next meeting will be October 27 at 1:00 pm at the AGNS.

Respectfully submitted,

Noella DeMille