Minutes of 9/29 Meeting

These are the subscribed, unapproved, minutes of the meeting held at AGNS on September 29th.

OF NOTE: If you are receiving this as an e-mail you are SUBSCRIBED to the YAS website and get notice of all new posts. We want to see how many people we are reaching. If you are reading this because of e-mail notice please sent a GOT IT message to <[email protected]> Use that also if you want to unsubscribe.

We also have a FaceBook page under Yarmouth Art Society. You may want to do some “likes” to get in that stream of information.

Yarmouth Art Society

Minutes of September 29, 2018 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of June 30, 2018 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from August 31 to September 30, 2018 opening balance of $2325.38 and total balance forward of $2365.38. This balance includes $474.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project, so the actual YAS balance is $1890.80.

Old Business:

Show Garson Sisters: Paulette reported that the following events have taken place since our June meeting: Beth Sweeney (former student) gave a talk on Arts & Disabilities Wednesday, July 18 and gave a Canada Council grant writing workshop on Thursday July 19. Kellianne Land and Jay LeBlanc involved children in a Puppet Theatre making puppets and putting on a show “Kid Jo and the Whale” Wednesday, July 25. David Gorman gave a workshop on the Scratch Art method Thursday, July 26, very well attended. Laura Hatfield facilitated a workshop with Whose Museum, on Friday, July 27. It was a still life drawing session where participants bring the objects and build the installation. This was the closing event. 

Show with Write Away Group: Wednesday, September 26 was the opening reception, which was very well attended. Dan said it was suggested that next time perhaps images could be shown using a projector while the poems/short stories are being read. This show runs till the end of October.

Holy Trinity Arts Activities: There is currently an art exhibit going on at Holy Trinity Church hall.

Plein Air Festival: A small number of artists participated this year. Dates will be set again next year for more sessions.

Hospital Hullabaloo: We did well at the Hullabaloo this year, with a total of $682.65 presented to the Hullabaloo committee. 

Artists at the Farmers’ Market annex: This was a summer activity YAS did in partnership with the Craft Guild.  Ivan reported that he thought it was a good opportunity for artists to show their work.

New business:

Arts Magazines Elizabeth Manuge: Several magazines were sold at the Hullabaloo but we still have some left if anyone wishes to take some for a small donation. We had a discussion about the art work remaining after the Hullabaloo. It was suggested some might sell if it was framed, perhaps we could combine some in groups to sell, also some could be used in Lucky Choice event.

Book in memory of Pierre Ferron: Margriet suggested we purchase a book for the library, in memory of Pierre Ferron. Dan said he would look for a suitable book.

Lucky Choice: Kellianne will check wirh Holy Trinity Church Council about possibly having Lucky Choice in their hall and Margriet will check with the YARC to see if it’s available. We are thinking of hanging art work on November 1 with an opening reception and sale of tickets on November 2 and the actual Lucky Choice event on November 17. Betty mentioned that perhaps our activities at the YARC could be mentioned on CJLS when the other YARC activities are announced. 

Plan new Arts and Cultural Centre: Natalie Smith has been invited to our October meeting. This will give us an opportunity to discuss plans for the print shop, comparing what we have in mind with what the architects are planning.

Other: Some members have been missing notices about up-coming activities that are posted on the website. Dan used to send out an e-mail when a new posting appeared on the website, but he explained that it’s difficult to keep an up-to-date e-mail address list of members. He suggested we go to the website, subscribe and provide an e-mail address, so that we can be automatically notified of a new posting. David Mahoney suggested that we should have a round table discussion at our monthly meetings to give an opportunity for us to talk about our recent art related activities. David started by saying he now has a video on you-tube which took him two years to accomplish. Each member around the table proceeded to talk about their art work. It was very interesting.

Next meeting will be October 27 at 1:00 pm at the AGNS.

Respectfully submitted,

Noella DeMille