Minutes

This a a post of minutes on its own page beginning in January of 2019. Past minutes may be found in previous posts. These are raw unapproved minutes. For changes see subsequent posts.

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of April 25, 2021 Board Meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

In attendance: Judy Jenkins, Cynthia Perry, Dan Earle, Ivan Blades, Margaret Jeddry, Paulette Babin, Noella DeMille

Cynthia talked briefly about grants available through Arts Nova Scotia for individuals or groups who are interested in promotional projects of the arts. She handed out documents to those at the meeting and these will be e-mailed to all members.

Margaret Jeddry is one of the organizers of Expo d’Art, an event that takes place at the wharf in Belliveau Cove on Sundays during the summer season. YAS has reserved a booth for 2 Sundays this summer for members to show their work at this event. Expo d’Art is looking for more food vendors during this coming season.

Conseil des Arts de la Baie is having their AGM on April 28 at the municipal office in Little Brook and simultaneous translation will be available if members bring earphones. An art exhibit is coming up, CAB members can drop off their work this week at the Trecarree Art Gallery.

After a short discussion, it was decided not to extend Yarmouth Creatives shop hours at this time.

The sale of squares for the small art show during the month of May has raised $254.00 for the Yarmouth Art Society.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

2021 YAS Annual General Meeting minutes April 11, 2021
At the Yarmouth Mall

Judy welcomed everyone at the meeting and mentioned that we would be following covid guidelines. She proceeded to name three prominent YAS members that have passed away during the past year and they will be missed: Mattheus Van-Duin, Father Maurice LeBlanc and Annie Harding.

The minutes of the 2020 AGM meeting were accepted as read.
Dan gave a financial report of the past year which was accepted as read. Judy gave the president’s report highlighting the activities of the past year.

The position of vice president was vacant for which Joanna Hyde and Cynthia Perry offered to take on. After a vote by show of hands, Cynthia Perry, became our new vice president. Thank you to both Joanna and Cynthia for coming forward. There were no nominations for the other executive positions or heads of committees. The people in these positions have agreed to remain.

The executive consists of: Judy Jenkins, president Cynthia Perry, vice-president Dan Earle, treasurer

Noella DeMille, secretary Respectfully Submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of March 28, 2021 Board Meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

In Attendance: Judy Jenkins, Paulette Babin, Dan Earle, Ivan Blades, Noella DeMille

Concerning the workshop space: Instructors must be members of the Yarmouth Art Society; all tables and chairs must be sanitized before use; hand sanitizer is to be available for all participants; and the room must be tidied up afterwards.

A booth has been booked for July 4 and August 15 for YAS members to use at Belliveau Cove market.

We now have a printing press on loan from Friends of the AGNS so we will determine who is qualified to use it so that workshops can be organized. Judy suggested charging participants $10.00 per session until someone has paid $50.00, then there would be no charge until the end of the year, except the cost for paper would continue. This was agreed upon.

An e-mail will be sent to all members asking for suggestions for the name of our Spring Show in May. Once suggestions are received, members will get a chance to vote on the name.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of February 28, 2021 Board meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

In Attendance: Judy Jenkins, Dan Earle, Margaret Jeddry, Paulette Babin, Ivan Blades, Noella DeMille.

Our AGM will be on April 11 at 10:30 am in the corridor of mall outside Yarmouth Creatives and all members will be invited to attend. The position of vice president is currently vacant so nominations for this position are encouraged. The president, treasurer and secretary are willing to remain but if anyone is interested in these positions, nominations can be made and a vote taken by members at the meeting.

Member Show: It was decided to have a member show of small pieces of art work similar to the show we had in December as a fund raiser for Yarmouth Creatives. This will be in May with a theme of Spring Flowers/bright colors.

Angela Collier loaned us a press for two months. We will obtain supplies for members to use or perhaps have a workshop.

Respectfully submitted Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of January 31, 2021 Board Meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

In Attendance: Judy Jenkins, Dan Earle, Margaret Jeddry, Paulette Babin, Ivan Blades, Selena Crosson, Noella DeMille

We discussed the need for clarification on when artists should pick up and bring in their art work in order to avoid empty spaces on the wall before the end of the month. An e-mail will be sent out regarding this.

Our AGM is coming up in March which means re-appointing a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary. We currently do not have a vice president so if anyone might be interested, please let us know.

Treasurer report was delayed.  We had a corrected starting balance of $2019.27. Income of  $2976.85. Expenses of $1786.87. With leggier balance and petty cash our balance is $2409.75.

Respectfully submitted Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society Minutes of January 3, 2021 meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

To start, Dan said a few words about long time YAS member Annie Harding, who recently passed away and we took a few moments of reflection.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from November 28, 2020 to December 31, 2020 balance forward of $1797.00, total balance forward of $2049.27. To summarize the year, Dan advised that membership increased from 42 in March to 119 as of the end of December; the Squares fund raiser brought in $515; and sales from September to December resulted in over $15,000 being placed into the hands of local artists and crafts people; 40 members received cheques at the end of December.

Questions were raised about our inventory list procedure. Ann Jones mentioned that her list could not be found one day that she came in. Also we did not list all the small squares for the December fund raiser. We realize December was a very busy month and mistakes were made. The procedures are still new to us and we will continue to improve them. Another point that was brought up was possibly keeping track of who purchases the art work and it was decided that this was just too much for the volunteers to manage. The question was asked about having visitors sign a guest book when they come in, but, due to Covid rules, it’s best not to have one at this time.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

 

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of December 15, 2020 Board Meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

The hanging fees have been generating between $200 to $300 per month since Yarmouth Creatives opened. We decided to increase the fee from 50 cents to $1.00 per square foot, keeping the limit of 10 square feet per member.

Rather than having our regular monthly meeting on the last Sunday of this month, we will have it on January 3, 2021 with the change of art work following the meeting.

In order to minimize the chance of errors we discussed having two floats since shifts are now being split and only the person working should have access to the till. Before leaving for the day the person working would balance their till and if there are three people working during the day, the third person could use the till that the first person balanced before leaving.

We did not keep an inventory list of the small squares. Judy brought up the topic that perhaps all items should be listed on inventory sheets. Also, once the items have been arranged for the month, new items should only be brought in to replace items sold in order to avoid spaces looking cluttered or over- crowded. Also, members should go to the staff member to add items to inventory sheet and make a tag when new items are brought in.

The featured artists for January will be asked to hang their work on January 3, same day as the meeting.

The small art show is proving to be quite popular. We discussed having this type of show several times a year and having proceeds go to local charities. Aiden’s Place could be one of these charities.

It was brought up that we shouldn’t be showing favoritism such as a staff member buying artwork as soon as it comes in or putting it aside for someone.

The rug hookers would like to see their work hung on the walls rather than on the stand currently used. Judy found a large corkboard which would fit well on the wooden divider, and tacks could be used to hang rug hooking.

The glass case is difficult to unlock so Dan will check to see if magnets could be used to keep it closed and Judy may check with her brother about possibly replacing the lock. Yarmouth Creatives purchased this case from Jerry at a cost of $150. Ron Surette is interested in displaying drums which would be suitable for this glass case.

Dan will pick up wine for Linda to give her along with chocolates as a thank you for all she has done for us. We are also giving chocolates to the maintenance men.

Dan and Sue left the room so that we could have a private discussion about a suitable amount to pay Dan for all the accounting work he is now doing. $150 per month is a tentative figure arrived at.

(In a subsequent talk between Judy and Dan said he was fine with “up to $150” as months vary in amount of attention needed. November and December have been particularly demanding.)

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

 

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of November 29, 2020 meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

The minutes of last meeting are no longer read at meetings as they can be seen on our website. Judy gave an overview of how Yarmouth Creatives came to be, starting about ten months ago with asking Linda if it would be possible to have a space in the mall. After a number of meetings with a small number of members and the covid interruption we opened on September 4, in the former Carlton Cards location, then a few days at the former Northern Reflections and now at our current location. We are hoping to remain at this location as the number of visitors and sales seem to be up.

We have had a good response to the up-coming small art show for December. Masonite squares are still available for sale if anyone is interested.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from October 31, 2020 to November 28, 2020 balance forward of $1582.55, total balance forward of $1797.00. Dan reported that all money used from YAS to start Yarmouth Creatives has now been repaid and Yarmouth Creatives itself is about $700 in the black. Also, membership in YAS has gone from the low 40s to over 110 members. The report was approved as read.

Holly Morton asked if a donation box could be placed at the front counter for donations for Aiden’s Place, a drop in youth center. The board will discuss it at their next meeting, then bring it to the members.

Several suggestions have been submitted for the name of the December small art show, members can still submit suggestions, then they will be e-mailed to all members to select one name.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society Minutes of November 1, 2020 Meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from September 25 to October 31, 2020 balance forward of $1304.17, total balance forward of $1582.55. Dan advised that Yarmouth Creatives now owes only $311.03 to the Yarmouth Art Society for the start- up costs, which is significantly less than the original amount. The financial report was approved as read.

Yarmouth Creatives will be closed on November 11 as the mall is closed on this date.

Holly Morton would like to paint the front section (window display area) of our new location to give it a fresh look. She would need help to reach the top part. This was approved.

Masonite squares are still available for $5.00 each for our December fundraiser show. If anyone has suggestions for the name of this show, you may submit to us. This artwork can be dropped off at our monthly meeting at the end of November.

The meeting was kept short to allow time for members to see the new space and for the final moving of the art work to the new location.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of October 23, 2020 board meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

We had a discussion about the drafts written by Dan about hanging/display guidelines for the Yarmouth Creatives Community art space. Concerning the YAS members’ art space, we decided the hanging fee should be increased to $1.00 per square foot from the current 50 cents, starting on January 1, 2021. Concerning the individual/group exhibition area, after a discussion, it was decided that artists should have the option of having their work removed from the wall immediately when sold or the purchaser have to wait until the end of the month to pick it up. If the piece is being picked up immediately, the artist would need to be prepared to replace it so that there would be no empty spots on the wall. Since not all artists are capable of displaying their art based on a theme or storyline, Dan will re-write the guidelines for this section. Sue will prepare a sign saying “featured artist” for the exhibition wall.

Dan showed us the gift certificates and envelopes he printed. He also made a sign for the desk to advise that gift certificates are now available.

Judy said the Craft Guild would like to lend us a 3 square foot wood/glass showcase. We’d need to sign an agreement stating that we would be responsible for moving it from the Farmers’ Market location and returning it when requested, and also for any damage incurred. Judy will contact Nancy Hood to discuss this and possibly signing the agreement with the intention of encouraging Craft Guild members to use the showcase once it is at Yarmouth Creatives. Judy will also contact Usher’s Moving re the cost of moving it.

Judy removed the recycle bin at the desk. She emphasized that all garbage should be removed at the end of the day, either bring it home with you or place in garbage can outside the shop.

Our next monthly meeting is on Sunday, November 1 at the new location. After the meeting we will be moving things out of our current location, into the new location. Judy asked Dan if it would be possible to keep a record of sales for each month. Dan replied he would get 3-page receipts instead of 2-page, so that one copy can be kept for this purpose.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society Minutes of October 6, 2020 meeting At Yarmouth Creatives

Sale of Masonite Squares: Sixteen squares have sold so far at $5.00 each. Margaret mentioned these are rather expensive compared to the YAS member wall hanging fee, but this is a fundraising project. After a discussion about where the funds raised should go, it was decided since we still have outstanding start up costs, that’s where the profit would go. We may also have costs associated with our up-coming move to the former Northern Reflections space. A shoe store will be moving into our current space on a trial basis, so we need to move at the end of this month and don’t know if we will be returning

Exhibition Wall: We had a discussion about this space and how it will be used. Some artists will be hanging art shows depicting a story or a single topic or theme. If one item is removed from such a show it affects the remaining art work. Therefore, the question is, if an item is sold, should it be removed right away or should the buyer only be allowed to pick it up at the end of the show. Points brought up were: would this prevent a sale? What about if the purchaser lives far away; would it be confusing to have different rules for this space than the YAS wall; since we are in the mall we are considered retail, as such shouldn’t a buyer be able to pick up right away; should it be up to each artist how they want to handle this. It was decided, since Dan has the next show and December is our small works show, we can wait until our next board meeting to discuss it again and afterwards take this issue to all members to make a decision.

Open House: Natalie mentioned to Judy that Oct 19 to 23 is small business week which might be a good time to have our open house. We decided on Friday the 23rd from 5:00 to 7:00, the first hour for invited dignitaries and the second hour for the general public. We will need to keep Covid regulations in mind, no food will be served and we may have to limit the number of people in the shop at one time.

Cleaning: Judy reminded us to wipe down the counter and the tablet when we first come in and remove garbage at the end of the day.

Center Space: Judy has heard from other jewellery artists about having a display in the center space. We may have to limit the number of jewellery exhibits so that there aren’t too many at one time. The case with Annie’s jewellery and the case with Ivan’s ships in bottles may be shared as well. Ivan believes that some of the bigger fiber art pieces should be hung on the wall as the display doesn’t look right on the stand in the center space. There seems to be a number of artists submitting poured paint pieces. We may have to put a limit of one or two artists per month with this type of work. This is in order to keep a good variety of work on the walls each month.

Next time the art work changes we plan to allow the entire week before our monthly meeting to drop off the work for the following month. After the meeting we went to look at the location we will soon be occupying.

Respectfully submitted Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society
Minutes of September 15, 2020 meeting at Yarmouth Creatives

Next month: We had a discussion about how to proceed for hanging art work next month on the YAS members wall as our plan is to change the work around the 1st of each month. It was decided that all the work that is currently hung on the wall will come down. Artists that did not hang their work this month will be considered first for October. If this process does not fill the wall, artists that have work on the wall will be considered next and their work would need to be different from what is currently displayed. It was suggested that returning artists be selected in alphabetical order by last name until the wall is full.

For October exhibit, work can be dropped off fomr September 25 to 27. Our monthly meeting is on the 26th so this would be a good time to bring it in. An e-mail will be sent to all members about this requesting a limit of 10 square feet for work to be hung on the wall, the dates for dropping off and how to prepare your work for hanging. We found that a 25 square foot limit was too much. Remaining art work will be hung in the back section of the shop if not picked up by our September 26 meeting as the new work will be hung on the 27th. For the displays on the floor using the cabinets, this will be left up to the artists to change as they wish. There is room for more cabinets or stands if mew displays are requested.

It was decided that the minutes of previous meeting would no longer be read at monthly meetings since the minutes are sent by e-mail to all members and are also on the website. At our monthly meeting we will ask if there were any errors or omissions in the minutes of the last meeting. After the meeting we will accept new art work and lay it out ready to hang. Sue said she can bring in a new card holder to display bigger cards.

Dan brought up the issue of the Garson Sisters fund balance that has been carried forward for almost a year since the Garson sisters project. He asked that this balance be incorporated into regular YAS balance as the money was designated for a community project and Yarmouth Creatives is such a project. This was agreed upon.

Silent auction: Dan talked about easels, books and other art supplies that have been donated to us that could be auctioned off.

Cleaning and sanitizing: The person that is tending the shop should be using Lysol to wipe the counter and any surface that customers would touch, first thing when they come in and halfway though the day.

Exhibition space: The art work on the exhibition wall will be taken down on the last day of each month and new show hung on the 1st of the month. The artist can hang with the help of the hanging committee, with the hanging committee having final say as to how it will be hung.

October work schedule: Dan is looking for a few more volunteers to tend the shop, this will be brought up at our Sept 26 meeting.

We had a discussion about perhaps using a chalkboard for advertising purposes, having the name of the person working that day, advertising other local art events. Another topic was our opening reception which would be by invitation only, we still haven’t decided on a date.

Workshop space: Judy is having her workshop on every Thursday evening, rug hookers will be having their meetings, and we are looking for other groups or invididuals to use the workshop space.

Exhibit space: We are planning a small art work show for YAS members in December. A decision was made to purchase masonite sheets which would be cut into 6 x 6 inch pieces for participating artists to purchse at $5 each. The idea is to have small affordable art for sale so $40 would be the maximum price for sale. This will be a fundraiser for YAS as the $5 would cover the cost of the masonite and leave a small profit. An e-mail will soon go out to all members about this.

We discussed ways of advertising the workshops or events in the shop. Margaret will look into community calendar on CJLS. We could also use an easel with a sign on it.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

 

Yarmouth Art Society Minutes of August 29, 2020 Meeting Yarmouth Creatives at Yarmouth Mall

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.
Minutes of February 29, 2020 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from July 31 to August 31, 2020 balance forward of $1445.51, total balance forward of $978.60. We still have the Garson reserve fund of $274.58 leaving an actual YAS balance of $704.02. The financial report was approved as read.

Old Business: Concerning Telus internet connection, the tablet from the Waterfront Gallery cannot be switched for use at our space at the mall. To start, we may need to use Judy’s personal tablet until things can be rectified. We have lovely new signs in our space, made by Sue Hutchins.

New Business: What is Yarmouth Creatives? Dan passed out information sheets to everyone at the meeting, explaining the concept of Yarmouth Creatives and the guidelines for participating artists. Basically, we’d like the space to be used for all kinds of different art forms. The back part of the shop will be used for workshops, meetings and for people to just drop in and work on their art projects if the space is not otherwise being used. Wall space has been designated for YAS members and a section for individuals or groups who do not need to be YAS members. We will, however, encourage individuals to become YAS members. We believe we can work it out if someone wants to have a workshop or meeting outside our regular hours of operation. Exhibitions next year will basically be determined on a first come first served system, keeping in mind that the hanging committee may want to make changes so that similar shows are not back to back. For the month of December 2020 we’d like to see YAS members participate in a show of small art pieces, perhaps no bigger than 8 x 10 with a small hanging fee, and once expenses are covered any profit would be donated to a charity. Another donation we are planning to do is YAS would purchase a piece of art work from one of the members and donate it to the Yarmouth Hospital Gala on behalf of the Yarmouth Mall.

The opening of our shop is set for Friday, Sept 4 with a grand opening to follow after a few weeks. This will be by invitation only in order to limit the number of people due to Covid. We will now have all our monthly meetings at this space on the last Saturday of the month. Our hours of operation will be noon until 6:00 pm, Dan is working on staffing, and we are hoping to be able to open every day of the week.

Participating artists should obtain their own Crafters insurance if this is a concern to them, as the insurance for the shop has very limited contents coverage. We will try to change the art on the YAS members wall every month, but this will be determined by the number of participants and number of pieces of art work. When a piece of art is sold YAS will not keep a commission except when purchased by credit card, 5% will be retained to cover the associated cost.

Artists are to set prices for their own work. We are still looking for volunteers to help tend the shop.

Some artists brought in their work today and we will accept work in the next few days, in time for the Sept 4 opening. 3-dimensional pieces will be displayed on tables or in showcases and the cost to exhibit will be determined by the size of the object or cabinet size. Ivan volunteered to come in tomorrow at 1:00 pm for members that wish to drop off their items. To drop off work this week, artists will need to contact a member of the board to open the shop at a suitable time.

Next meeting will be September 26, 2020 at 1:00 pm at Yarmouth Creatives. Respectfully submitted
Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society, March 28, 2020 notes

Due to the Corona Virus pandemic restrictions there was no meeting in March of 2020. However, we are still pursuing the development of the Yarmouth Creates project at the Mall once life gets back to normal. We have 46 Members for 2020 and are working at expanding that number.

The incoming balance in books was $821.66. We had an income of $705, mostly from Membership renewals. We had expenses of $135 giving us a balance of 1391.66. $274.58 is set aside for youth education activities.

 2020 YAS Annual General Meeting Minutes – February 29, 2020

The Annual General Meeting of the Yarmouth Art Society took place in the education wing of The Yarmouth County Museum and Archives on February 29 2020.

The meeting was called to order at 1pm ; President Margriet Knubben chair. Minutes of the 2019  Annual General Meeting were accepted as read.

2019 Financial Report- balance forward from 2019 to 2020 is $942.41. Financial report accepted as presented by Dan Earle.

Margriet Knubben gave the President’s Report summarizing the Yarmouth Art Society activities of 2019.The report was accepted as presented.

Nominations for slate of officers brought forward as follows   Past President – Margriet Knubben

President – Judy Jenkins

Vice President- Kellianne Land

Treasurer- Dan Earle

Secretary – Noelle Demille

Exhibition Committee –        

Chair –  Bill Curry

Members – Selena Crosson– Margaret Jeddry

No further nominations brought forward ; slate of officers accepted as presented.

Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,  Paulette Babin

Yarmouth Art Society, Minutes of February 29,  2020 Meeting

Yarmouth Art Society

Minutes of February 29, 2020 Meeting

The Yarmouth County Museum and Archives

The meeting was  called to order at 1.00 pm.

YAS Minutes of January 25, 2020 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report :

 For the period January 25. 2020 to February 29th. 2020 ; the opening balance forward was $942.41. After income and expenses;  total balance forward is $821.66. Garson Reserve forward is $274.58 . Actual YAS balance is $547.08. Treasurer’s report accepted as read.

Old Business :

Artwork in Hospital – the exhibit is successful with four pieces sold.The process of replacing artwork still needs to be streamlined. Margriet awaiting a call about a meeting with Peggy Green Yarmouth Site leader ,NS Health Authority.

New Business : 

The future of YAS – a discussion was held re a name change which might be more open and inclusive to attract a younger demographic. Margaret Jeddrey offered the name Yarmouth Creative and suggested we look at the Parrsboro Creative website.YAS is registered with Joint Stocks and that will remain the same but  we can have a branding name.  A decision about the name was tabled until the next meeting. Any name suggestions by members can be emailed to Judy Jenkins([email protected]).

Judy Jenkins shared a exciting meeting she had with Linda Deveau Yarmouth Mall Manager in which a offer of a community art space was made.The space was previously occupied by Carleton Cards .A small group of YAS members were pulled together quickly Friday to brainstorm how this might work. The space could be used for display of works, shows ,meetings and workshops. If a business specifically  wanted that space in the future we would have to move to another space. One suggestion at the meeting was to ask the Craft Guild if they might be interested in partnering with us. A draft of the brainstorming ideas was drawn up by Dan Earle and sent off to some members of the Craft Guild. The President and several members of the Craft Guild were present at the YAS meeting as well as rug hooking leaders of the Yarmouth Carpetbaggers and The Rugg Bees. There were questions and concerns brought forward by this group.It is early days and we need to obtain more information before final decisions are made. Any questions , thoughts or suggestions email Judy Jenkins. Any individual crafters can be members of YAS as well as the Craft Guild and be part of this project. A member of the Craft Guild will be asked to be on the Mall Project Committee as we move forward in the decision making process.

YAS Members are asked to fill out a contact info and Interest form along with the $15.00 membership fee.

Other-

Ruth Rideout a Lifetime Member of the Yarmouth Art Society passed away.it was moved by Margriet Knubben and seconded by Ivan Blades that we donate a hundred dollars to the Friends of the AGNS in her memory. Motion carried.

Kellianne Land informed us that the AGNS is making Programming decisions this month any ideas or suggestions please forward to them.

Many thanks to Margriet Knubben who did four years as President .

Next meeting will be at 1pm March 28, 2020 at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. 

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted, Paulette Babin

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of November 30, 2019 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report: For the period from November 30 to December 31, 2019 balance forward of $1302.41, total balance forward of $942.41. For the period from December 31, 2019 to January 25, 2020, balance forward of $942.41, total balance forward of $942.41. We still have the Garson reserve of $274.58 leaving an actual YAS balance of $687.93.The end of year balance of $942.41 matches bank statement.

Old Business:

Show at Museum: We recently completed two successful shows at the museum. We have been informed that the museum will be using the room for their own shows in 2020, so we won’t have any exhibits at the museum this year.

Artwork at Hospital: This exhibit is doing well, four pieces have been sold so far. Ivan pointed out that the process of replacing art work that has been sold, is very confusing and inefficient, perhaps it could be streamlined. Also, people are getting confused with the 30% commission.

New Business:

Officers: Margriet hasn’t received any replies to her e-mail about the positions of president, vice-president and head of exhibits committee that need to be filled as of our February AGM. 

Future YAS: Over the last few years, we have seen a gradual decline in attendance at the YAS meetings and a decline in participation at our shows. It would be great to have more support from the town and from the YARC. Urgent needs are a place to hang shows, nominations for president, vice-president and head of exhibits committee. This leaves us wondering where is YAS headed? Could it be that operations would need to be suspended for at least a year? Judy volunteered to contact YAS members about the officers positions that need to be filled.

Other: Judy said that she is working on opening up a room connected to her shop, Seahags and Scallywags, for workshops.

Next meeting will be February 29, 2020 at 1:00 pm at AGNS and it will be our AGM.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of October meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report for the period from October 26 to November 30, 2019 balance forward of $1469.77, total balance forward of $1302.41. We still have the Garson reserve of $274.58 leaving an actual YAS balance of $1027.83.

Old Business:

Show at the Museum: We currently have a very nice show at the museum until January.

Artwork at Hospital: This exhibit has been well received. Suggestions have been made for a sign and better lighting near the cabinet of crafts as it is in a rather dark area. Ivan suggested coasters could be put on the cabinet as it may need to be moved slightly from time to time. Also a different font could be used on the poster as it is not readable from a distance. Peggy Green is still working on obtaining more wall space to extend this exhibit, art work is to be changed every 6 months. Anne has heard that someone may be interviewed regarding this show, at the Hospital Foundation Radiothon in February.

YAS Networking: Margriet said that the advertising we did in the Downtown Yarmouth November events calendar and the CJLS Community Calendar for the Winter show at the museum, seems to have helped as we had a good turnout for our opening reception.

New Business:

Arts coalition updates: Margaret has tried to reach Christopher Shore, he hasn’t returned the phone call yet, she will keep trying. Belle Hatfield of Hear, Hear, has indicated that there is some interest with her group, to combine with YAS but are on the sidelines until they know more. They will discuss this at their January meeting. Ivan said the Craft Guild doesn’t seem interested at this time as their mandate is different from the YAS mandate. Bill Curry said some photographers seem interested in joining YAS as a way to show and sell their work. Some of the points raised during this discussion were: some people don’t want to get involved with the political element; perhaps we could change the name of the Yarmouth Art Society and mission statement in a way to show that it is not for visual artists only, but for artists and artisans of all kinds; Anne pointed out that lots of people rely on social media rather than attending meetings to keep up with current events. It was decided that Margriet will send out the YAS by-laws by e-mail to members who attended this meeting as we think about changing the YAS name and mandate for our up-coming AGM in February.

Other: 

VANS: Dan said our membership is due for renewal, $60.00, believes YAS should renew. The benefits include a discount if YAS members want to join individually and they could have a page on the VANS website to show their work.  This was approved.

Museum Donation: Dan suggested a $300 donation to the museum which was approved.

AGM: Margriet said she plans on stepping down as president and we may want to think about a different vice president also, as Dave has been unable to attend most meetings.

Next meeting will be January 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm at AGNS

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society,  Minutes of October 31, 2019 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes from September meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s Report for the period from Sept 28/19 to Oct 26/19 total balance forward of $1469.77. We still have the Garson reserve of $274.58 leaving an actual YAS balance of $1195.19.

Old Business:

Art Classes for Children: Dave Gorman and Gary Stewart have indicated they would be interested in teaching art classes for children.

Shows at the Museum: We currently have a beautiful show at the museum. For the next show, with Winter theme, the opening reception will be on November 15 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. The current show ends on the 12th, so we can pick up our work and drop off for the next show on the 12th or we can drop off on the 13th as hanging will be on the 14th.

Art Work at the Hospital: We are to drop off our work at the printshop on November 5 for the hospital project. Hanging will be done on the 6th and the opening reception will be on the 19th. There will be limited space to begin with. If your work doesn’t get hung right away, it will be hung at a later date. The hospital will be promoting this show and we may promote it as well.

YAS networking: Margriet sent a notice to Downtown Yarmouth November events to advertise our winter show and Noella sent a notice to CJLS Community Calendar.

New Business:

Inspiration from Parrsboro: As we are looking for ways to promote the arts in our community, Margaret Jeddry talked about her experience when she contacted a gentleman from the Parrsboro Creative Group. He said they were able to obtain provincial funding to hire one employee. He suggested contacting Christopher Shore with Culture and Heritage. It was also suggested we contact the Yarmouth Art Council Board. We had a discussion about asking other groups like the Writers, Rug Hookers, Craft Guild, dancers, musicians, theatre, etc to combine with us and make a collective group instead of the smaller groups. We also discussed the possibilities of obtaining permanent studio space and gallery space. Margaret mentioned the gallery in Freeport, a small community where the Bank of Nova Scotia is providing the building for an art gallery and over 40 artists are showing their work. It was decided that a few of us  would meet again on November 9 after contacting the leaders of the other groups to ask about a combined group. This meeting will be to discuss the objectives of a united group moving forward.

Our next monthly meeting will be on November 30/19 at 1:00 pm at AGNS and we will invite the leaders of the other groups to attend our meeting if they wish to join as a bigger group or if they want to hear more about the objectives of a collective group.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art Society, Minutes of September 28, 2019 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm

Minutes of the June 29, 2019 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s report for the period from August 31, 2019 to Sept 28, 2019, opening balance of $1454.77 and total balance forward of $1454.77. This balance includes $274.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project so the actual YAS balance is $1180.19.

Old Business:

Art classes for children: There was no one at the meeting who participated in the teaching of these classes, but Kellianne and Angela were pleased with the results.Margriet has received no responses to the request for names of artists willing to teach future art classes for children. She will send out an e-mail to all YAS members.

Switch: No YAS members participated in the SWITCH street event this year.

Sara Corning Project: The writers’ group decided not to join the YAS members for this event. The reception at the Yarmouth Waterfront Gallery was well attended.

Hospital Hullabaloo: This went well with $595 raised, approximately the same as last year.

Shows at the Museum: Cecil handed out posters to YAS members, to be placed in local businesses’ windows to announce our up-coming show at the museum. Art work is to be dropped off at the museum by Wednesday at the latest. Our Sara Corning art work is acceptable for this exhibit.

Artwork at Hospital: Margriet hasn’t heard from Peggy lately so she will try to call her to determine how work is progressing in preparation for this project.

YAS networking: We had a discussion about inviting business owners to our opening receptions when we do an exhibit, not just placing posters in their windows. We should also try to have our opening receptions announced in the Downtown Yarmouth Calendars. Margriet will see if our October exhibit can be announced, if not, our November 16 opening reception for the Winter theme exhibit should be announced.

New Business:

Artist Co-Op: Margriet was speaking with Natalie Smith, who said plans for art centre are now frozen due to groups not agreeing, money is now being spent on Mariner Centre expansion. It was mentioned that communities like Annapolis and Parrsboro have strong community involvement in the arts. They have outdoor art activities which involve the public. The question was raised as to how could we become a stronger art community. It was suggested that, at one of our monthly meetings,  we could arrange on line contact with people from the Annapolis and Parrsboro art councils to discuss this. Then we could have a meeting with Pam Mood and Natalie Smith to discuss ways to promote the arts in Yarmouth. One idea proposed was looking into joining with other art groups such as Craft Guild, Writers’ Group, rug hookers, etc, forming one large group instead of a number of small groups.  Betty mentioned that perhaps YAS members should be required to attend a minimum number of meetings per year in order to show their work at our exhibits. It was pointed out that some members have physical restrictions which make it difficult for them to get around, but they still participate in exhibits. Dan pointed out that many organizations succeed with only Board members attending meetings. 

Other: We are glad to hear that Father Maurice is now out of the hospital, and is staying at the Tusket Villa in Tusket, and he is still painting. We wish him all the best.

We had a round table talk.

Next meeting will be Saturday, October 26th at 1 pm in the community room of the AGNS.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

 Yarmouth Art Society, Minutes of March 23, 2019 Meeting

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of the February 23, 2019 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s report for the period from February 23 to March 23, 2019, opening balance of $3765.32 and total balance forward of $3839.85. This balance includes $474.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project and $1863.24 which is the reserve for 4 Ateliers so the actual YAS balance is $1505.03.

Old Business:

Shows at the museum: Both rug hooking groups have agreed to join us for our fall-winter show at the museum. Winter is the theme and it is not a pairings show. If individual YAS members wish to contact rug hooking artists and pair up, this would be fine.

Art Classes for Children:  So far only one student has registered for these classes. Over the next few days more advertising will be done and Cecil will speak to the art teacher at the high school. On Monday, a poster will be put up at Maple Grove. A discussion followed suggesting perhaps the cost was a deterrent to some and perhaps payments could be made weekly instead of up front. However, this might give the impression that students could pick and choose which sessions they would attend, while our intention is for students to attend all sessions to give them an over-all view of what is available in the arts. We also discussed more ways of advertising our events and trying to get a couple of students to sit in on our meetings to offer their in-put. Classes are scheduled to start April 10 so a decision soon has to be made as to whether this will work out.

Artwork in hospital: The idea is that any type of work will be accepted as long as it can be hung, keeping in mind that the work should be suitable for viewing by people of all ages, and that perhaps a 20% commission to the hospital would be fair.  After the end of March, Margriet will be meeting with the committee at the hospital that is working on this project. A lot of preparations have to be made at the hospital before this can begin so it will take some time.

YAS Networking: Since Yarmouth hospital is a regional hospital, it was decided that art groups in Clare, Pubnico and perhaps Barrington area would be asked to participate in displaying art work also.

New Business:

There was no new business.

Other: Father Maurice has advised that he will be having a show with his group this summer. No dates have been set yet. Dave Gorman will be having a solo show at the Yarmouth County Museum in July and August with an opening reception July 6 from 2:00 – 4:00 pm. Sue Amon will be having a solo show at the YARC during the month of June with opening reception on June 8 from 6:00 – 7:30 pm.

Round Table: We had an enjoyable round table talk.

Next meeting will be Saturday April 27, at 1:00 pm at the AGNS.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Yarmouth Art SocietyMinutes of February 23 2018

The meeting was called to order at 1pm at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia; Margriet Knubben presiding.

The minutes of the January 26, 2019 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s report; for the period from January 26, 2019  to February 23, 2019 balance forward is $3765.32. This balance includes Garson reserve $474.58 and 4 Ateliers reserve $1980.00.Actual YAS balance forward $1427.50. Treasurers Report accepted as presented.

Old Business:

Shows at the museum : the fibre artists will be given the opportunity to participate in our pairings show.Virginia will be contacting Frieda Perry and Elaine Howatt from the two rug hooking groups.This show will be a winter theme and will take place November 16, 2019 to January 11, 2020.

Art Classes for children in the spring : Cecil Day is the chair overseeing this project.Promotion and publicity will be organized to get young people to sign up, posters will need to be made.Bill Curry submitted a list of materials needed for his class and lists are pending from other instructors.

Artwork in Yarmouth Hospital : Margriet had a meeting with Peggy Green and Paulette Sweeney.YAs will be able to have artwork hung at the Hospital.This will  happen on the main floor, building B (the corrider going past X-ray towards Day Surgery).The Hospital will put up  pine board along the walls in order  to hang the Artworks . A disclaimer will have to be signed by the artists in case of theft. Sales will be coordinated through the Ladies Auxilliary gift shop. Decisions will have to be made as to frequency of rotation of the artwork,what part of the sales goes to the Hospital and a name for the Gallery. Margriet will send out a memo and will be meeting with Peggy Green, Paulette Sweeney and Women’s Auxillary  again after the end of March.

YAS Networking :

Artists can send to Dan a short bio and up to three picture of artwork to be posted on the YAS Website.

Discussion was held re networking with other similar Art Societies and Art groups such as in  Clare, Shelburne and Barrington. They may be even interested in doing joint workshops and there may be possible exhibit spaces for us outside the Yarmouth area.                                                                                                     

Margaret Jeddrey will contact the Clare group.Virginia mentioned that she had been talking with an artist from Barrington who said that there was no art group there or exhibits galleries,she thought that there might be a way to explore attracting artists from that area.Carol mentioned that she too had a contact and could follow up.The Pubnico painting group was also mentioned.The Osprey in Shelburne was suggested as a possible exhibit space,we are not sure though whether shows are still held there.

Margaret Jeddrey brought up Maritime Art List which allows artists to stay connected  and up to date with the latest art news and events.

 Cecil Day described a 2 day cyanotype workshop that is being given by Bonnie Baker at the YARC Print Shop on June 6th and 8th 2019.There is room for 6 to 10 people.Details available from Cecil Day.

There will be a Life Drawing Workshop held at Holy Trinity Hall, 61 William Street ,March 6,13,27,April 3,10 and 24,6-8 in the evening with Model and Cooperative Modeling.  Contact Kellianne Land 519-993-8739                                                                                                                                    [email protected]

Opening Reception for Looking Out Looking In Exhibit March 2, 2019 at 1 pm at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Yarmouth.

 Roundtable was held.

Next meeting will be held March 23 2019 at 1pm; Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Yarmouth.

Respectfully submitted, Carol Rogers

 Minutes Yarmouth Art Society, Annual General Meeting, February 2019

The Annual General  Meeting of the Yarmouth Art Society took place at the Community Room, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia February 23 2019.

The meeting was called to order at 1pm ; President Margriet Knubben , chair.

Minutes of the 2018 Annual General Meeting were accepted as read. 

Financial Report  balance forward from 2018 to 2019 $3545.32 which includes Garson reserve $474.58 and Atelier reserve of $1863.24.Report from Angela Collier states “Audit complete from January 1 2018 to December 31 2018.   All financials in good order.”Financial report accepted as presented by Dan Earle.

Margriet Knubben gave the President’s report summarizing the year’s activities.The report was accepted as read.

Virginia Stoddard gave the Nominations Committee report. The slate of executive officers was presented as follows;

Past President: Virginia Stoddard

President: Margriet Knubben

Vice President: David Gorman

Treasurer: Dan Earle

Secretary: Noella Demille

Committee Chairs

Exhibition: Cecil Day

Promotion/Publicity: Margaret Jeddrey

Web Page: Dan Earle

Membership: Vacant

Program: Vacant

No further nominations brought forward.

Slate of officers accepted as presented.

Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted, Paulette Babin, Carol Rogers

Yarmouth Art Society, Minutes of January 26, 2019

Meeting, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm.

Minutes of the November 24, 2018 meeting were approved as read.

Treasurer’s report: For the period from November 24, 2018 to January 26, 2019 opening balance of $3997.08 and total balance forward of $3545.32. This balance includes $474.58 which is the remaining grant money for the Garson Sisters project and $1863.24 which is the reserve for 4 Ateliers so the actual YAS balance if $1207.50.

Old Business:

Shows at the Museum: The museum has been booked for October 5, 2019 to January 11, 2020. After some discussion, it was decided we should have two shows, one with tentative dates of October 5 to November 9 for YAS members only, and a pairings show with a winter theme from November 16 to January 11. Perhaps we could invite rug hookers or fabric artists to join us along with the writers group. 

YAS Activities in Spring: It was agreed that we should have the art classes for children in the Spring, the plein air sessions could be resumed and Margriet mentioned figure drawing sessions. After much discussion about the art classes for children, it was agreed that there would be 2 classes of each of the following: Photography with Bill Curry, drawing and acrylic with Kellianne Land, watercolor with Dan Earle and printmaking with Cecil Day. An administrator would be needed to oversee this project and look after promotion and publicity. Sessions would be after school at the museum except for printmaking which would take place at the YARC print shop. Tentative dates and times are April 10 to June 12 from 3:30 to 5:00 pm. At our next meeting perhaps the instructors could provide a list of materials needed to determine what the YAS has on hand and what would need to be purchased. These classes would be for children aged 12 and over at a cost of $15 per session and YAS has some funds available if some students need to be sponsored.

Artwork in Hospital: Margriet hasn’t heard back from Peggy regarding this.

YAS networking: It was suggested that links to YAS members’ websites be placed on the YAS website in an attempt to make our artwork more visible. Dan will provide information about making a website for those that are interested.

New Business:

Executive Board Members: All executive members advised that they would be willing to continue in their positions: Margriet as president, Dave as vice president, Dan as treasurer and Noella as secretary. Margaret Geddry said she would look after promotion and publicity. Virginia and Paulette are willing to continue looking after exhibitions.  

Other: YAS has made a donation to Friends of the Art Gallery in memory of Elizabeth Manuge as suggested by her family. This is instead of our usual donation of an art book to the library.

Round table was omitted this time due to length of meeting.

Next meeting will be February 23, 2019 at 1:00 pm at AGNS.

Respectfully submitted, Noella DeMille

Promoting the visual arts in Southwest Nova Scotia